School Age Swim Lessons (6 - 14yrs)
Y SWIM LESSON (YSL)
We offer the National YMCA Swim Lesson Curriculum year-round for swimmers of all ages and skill levels. YMCA swim lessons emphasize water safety, skill, and stroke development. In stages 1-3 students learn personal water safety and achieve basic swimming competency by learning two benchmark skills —swim, float, swim and jump, push, turn, grab.
Having mastered the fundamentals, students in stages 4-6, learn additional water safety skills and build stroke technique, developing skills that prevent chronic disease, increase social, emotional, and cognitive well-being, and foster a lifetime of physical activity. YMCA swim lessons follow the National YMCA’s child-to-instructor ratio to ensure plenty of time in the water. We strive to foster a student-centered and caring atmosphere with well-trained professionals.
POOL SAFETY POLICIES
The YMCA of Montclair Aquatics program follows the guidelines of the Montclair Public Health Department and the CDC. The following rules and practices are enforced in the pool area:
- Instructors wear face shields while instructing in the water.
- Students will not wear masks in the water as per CDC regulations.
- Classes are held in the small pool. Parent/Child classes and stages 1-3 are held in the small pool; stage 4 may be offered in either the small or large pool and Stages 5 & 6 and Clubs are held in the large pool when space is available.
- Class participants ages 5 and up must wear a swim cap.
- Class participants will use a shower located on the pool deck to rinse before class.
- Parent/guardian observation is outside the small pool or the balcony of the large pool. Each pool has an observation area for parents/guardians to view swimming lessons. Parent/Guardians are not permitted on the pool deck during classes.
- Instructors will let students into the pool area, please wait in the pool hall area until the class is let into the pool area. Only class participants will be permitted on the pool deck.
Swim Lesson Evaluations
In order to be placed in the correct swim stage, with the exception of those registering for Stage 1, new students must be evaluated. Current YMCA members must register in person or online for all programs. Community registrants must register in person at the Park Street YMCA facility. Early registration is encouraged as classes are filled on a first-come, first-served basis.
Swim Level Evaluation: By Appointment Only. Please contact [email protected].
Summer -Stage 1 (6-12yrs)
Summer -Stage 2 (6-12yrs)
Summer 1 -Stage 3 (6-14yrs)
Summer 1-Stage 1 (6-12 yrs)
Summer 1-Stage 2 (6-12 yrs)
Summer 1-Stage 3 (6-12 yrs)
Summer 1-Stage 4 (6-14yrs)
Summer 1-Stage 5 (8-14 yrs)
Summer 1-Stage 6 (8-14 yrs)
Summer 1-Stage 7A Endurance, Sports and Games (10-16yrs)
Summer 1-Stage 7B Aquatics Conditioning (10-16yrs)